How to become a data entry clerk
You can get into this job through:
- a college course
- an apprenticeship
- working towards this role
- applying directly
You could take a college course to develop your computer skills while looking for work. Courses include:
- Level 1 Certificate for IT Users (New CLAiT)
- Level 2 European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) Certificate in IT User Skills
- Level 2 Diploma in Business Administration
There are no set entry requirements for this route.
The following apprenticeship may be relevant to this role:
- Business administrator advanced apprenticeship
You'll usually need:
- 5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C), or equivalent, including English and maths, for an advanced apprenticeship
You could move into data entry work if you've got office experience, for example, as an administrative assistant.
Employers will give you training on the job, covering their data entry systems.
You can apply for jobs directly if you've got experience of word processing, spreadsheets and databases. Employers may also ask for GCSEs in English and maths.
You would normally be tested for keyboard skills and accuracy in entering data when you go for an interview.
You can get more details about careers in IT from The Chartered Institute for IT.