How to become a chimney sweep
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
- specialist courses run by professional bodies
You could find an experienced chimney sweep to take you on as an assistant and train on the job.
As part of that training, you could complete a Level 2 Certificate in Chimney Sweeping or Level 2 Diploma in Chimney Engineering.
Experience in construction or engineering may be helpful, although not essential to do these courses.
You could take a training course with a professional body.
Become a Chimney Sweep has a summary of training providers who deliver courses from introductory level to advanced.
Many chimney sweeps set up their own business once they have some experience.
Professional and industry bodies
You could join:
- National Association of Chimney Sweeps
- The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
- Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps
- Sweep Safe
They offer training and professional development opportunities.