You can apply directly for jobs if you have a lot of experience, for example through working as a driver for the police, the armed forces or in the taxi industry.
How to become a Chauffeur
You'll usually get into this job by:
- applying directly
- taking a specialist driver training course
You could take a driver training course, like those offered by the Institute of Advanced Motorists to improve your chances of finding work. You could also take a specialist chauffeur training course with the:
For some jobs, you may need a private hire vehicle licence.
You'll find it useful to have car maintenance skills.
Careers That Move has more details about working in the passenger transport industry.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- active listening skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- sensitivity and understanding
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- Being able to use a computer terminal or hand-held device may be beneficial for this job.
Restrictions and requirements
You'll need to:
- have a full UK driving licence and several years' driving experience
- be aged 21 or over
- pass background checks
What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks will depend on your employer, and may include:
- helping passengers with their luggage
- helping passengers get in and out of the vehicle if required
- providing journey information
- making sure that the vehicle is clean and well maintained for each job
You could work from a vehicle or at a client's home.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
You could go on to set up your own business.
You could also be a 'lead driver' and train other chauffeurs.
Apprenticeships In England
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a Chauffeur right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Courses In England
Are you interested in becoming a Chauffeur?
Search for training courses near you.