You can apply directly for jobs if you've got a lot of experience, for example through working as a driver for the police, the armed forces or in the taxi industry.
How to become a chauffeur
You can get into this job through:
- applying directly
- taking a specialist driver training course
You could take a driver training course, like those offered by the Institute of Advanced Motorists to improve your chances of finding work. You could also take a specialist chauffeur course with a private training provider.
You'll find it useful to have car maintenance skills.
You can get more on working in the passenger transport industry from Careers That Move.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- active listening skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- sensitivity and understanding
- physical skills like movement, coordination, dexterity and grace
- knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and requirements
What you'll do
Your day-to-day tasks will depend on your employer, and may include:
- helping passengers with their luggage
- helping passengers get in and out of the vehicle if required
- providing journey information
- making sure that the vehicle is clean and well maintained for each job
You could work from a vehicle or at a client's home.
You may need to wear a uniform.
Career path and progression
You could go on to set up your own business.
You could also be a 'lead driver' and train other chauffeurs.
Apprenticeships In England
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a chauffeur right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Courses In England
Are you interested in becoming a chauffeur?
Search for training courses near you.
JobsIn the United Kingdom
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.