You can contact registered body piercing studios about being taken on as an assistant. You would then train with them to get the skills and knowledge needed for the job.
How to become a body piercer
You can get into this job through:
- working towards this role
- specialist courses run by private training organisations
You could take short training courses and distance learning courses but it's important to be aware that these will not qualify you. You'll still need hands-on, supervised experience in a registered studio.
Body piercing is unregulated, so choose courses carefully. A background in beauty, art or tattooing may be helpful.
You can find out more about training with a registered body piercer from the UK Association of Professional Piercers.
You can also find out more about working in this and other creative careers from Discover Creative Careers.
What it takes
Skills and knowledge
- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- customer service skills
- to enjoy working with other people
- sensitivity and understanding
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Restrictions and Requirements
What you'll do
In your daily duties you might:
- discuss with the client the type of piercing they want and advise on what may be suitable
- explain the procedure and point out any risks involved
- advise on suitable types of metal and jewellery
- sterilise the piece of jewellery and the area which is being pierced
- dispose of the needle, following health and safety guidelines
- show the client how to care for the piercing as it heals, and what to do if there’s a problem
You could work at a store, in a salon or in a creative studio.
You may need to wear protective clothing.
Career path and progression
With experience, you could set up your own business and employ other piercers or tattooists.
We can't find any apprenticeship vacancies in England for a body piercer right now.
The Find an apprenticeship service can help you with your search, send alerts when new apprenticeships become available and has advice on how to apply.
Are you interested in becoming a body piercer?
Search for training courses near you.
The Find a job service can help you with your search for jobs and send alerts when new jobs become available.