VTQs focus on a specific job or a broad employment area, such as childcare, engineering or IT.
They’re usually taken at a school or college. They might be for you if you have a strong interest in working in a particular industry.
Types of VTQs
There are a few different types and levels of VTQs, including:
- BTECs: level 1 to 7 qualifications
- Cambridge Nationals: level 1 and 2 qualifications
- Cambridge Technicals: level 2 and 3 qualifications
- T Levels: level 3 qualifications
You can see what the different qualification levels mean on GOV.UK.
The length of the VTQ will be different for each one, but the minimum length is one year.
Grades you need
Each educational provider sets their own entry requirements. The grades you’ll need to have will depend on the level and type of course you’re applying for.
Subjects you can take
There are over 2,000 different subjects available across the different VTQs.
You’re sure to find a subject in the industry or sector you’re interested in.
After your VTQ
After completing a VTQ, you can:
- get a job in your chosen career
- go on to further study, such as getting a degree
- volunteer to help build your skills and experience
Finding VTQ courses
Use our course search to look for different types of learning opportunities.
Special educational needs (SEND) advice
You can get education advice if you're disabled or have special educational needs.
It may help you choose what you'd like to do next.