School leaver schemes are usually similar to graduate schemes, except they’re aimed at school leavers.
Starting a school leavers scheme
To start a school leaver scheme, you’ll need to:
- be 18 or over
- not be in full-time education
Usually, the schemes require high A level grades or equivalent qualifications.
You can apply for a school leavers scheme while you’re still at school.
What you'll do on the school leavers scheme
Employers create their own schemes, so each one will be slightly different.
- follow a training programme
- earn a qualification, but not always
- rotate between different locations with the same company
- complete training online, in college or at a university
Sectors you could work in
School leaver schemes are offered by employers in sectors such as:
- accounting and finance
After your school leaver scheme
Once you’ve finished a school leaver scheme, you could:
- get a job with your current employer, they might like to hire you because they’ve trained you and know you can do the job the way they’d like
- find a new job with a different employer
- get more qualifications with an apprenticeship or higher education
- volunteer for more experience to help you get a permanent job
Applying for a school leavers scheme
You’ll need to check each company’s website to see if they offer a school leaver scheme and how to apply.
You can get careers advice from us on topics such as:
Explore your choices
Combine work and study
School leaver schemes
Special educational needs (SEND) advice
You can get education advice if you're disabled or have special educational needs.
It may help you choose what you'd like to do next.