Get the most out of online learning
Make online learning a fun and rewarding experience. Improve your skills without leaving your home.
Types of courses available online
You can study subjects that are useful for most jobs like English, maths and digital skills.
There are also courses to build your skills and confidence to get into work and get on in your career. You can do a course that suits your interests and matches your current level of skill.
How online learning works
You'll usually enrol online and get access to a website where you can find course materials. Some courses have an online tutor.
You may also have the chance to get to know other learners through a ‘virtual classroom’ or group chat.
What to look for in an online course
When signing up for an online course you should check:
- the entry requirements
- the start date and how long the course will be
- how much time you'll need to commit to study
- if there's a cost, such as for a certificate or learning materials
- how you'll study, in group lessons or independent study
- what support you'll get and whether you need an online account
- if you'll get a certificate or qualification at the end
To enjoy your course and make the most of learning online it can be helpful to:
- make sure you have all the materials and equipment you'll need
- get help with childcare or other responsibilities if you can, so you can focus
- make yourself a study plan
- highlight any deadlines you'll need to meet
- check if there's an online tutor or how you can ask for help if you need it
- be kind to yourself - getting into studying online can take time and practice, so do not give up
Prepare your environment
To give yourself the best chance of success:
- find a quiet space to work
- check your internet connection is working
- let everyone at home know the times you'll be studying so there are no distractions
Find an online course
Use The Skills Toolkit to access free, high quality courses to help you build up your skills.