Course details

Table with course details
Qualification name GCE A Level in Physical Education
Qualification level 3
Awarding organisation AQA Education
Learning method Classroom based
Course hours Part-time
Course start date 6th September 2024
Cost £0.00
Attendance pattern Daytime

Discover the learning experience and opportunities you can expect from this course.

This practical and engaging course has been developed to allow learners to study Physical Education in an academic setting, enabling them to critically analyse and evaluate their physical performance and apply their experience of practical activity in developing their knowledge and understanding of the subject.

Find out what qualifications and skills you will need for this course.

Grade 5 or above in GCSE Physical Education and Grades 5 - 5 or above in GCSE Combined Science or Grade 5 or above in GCSE Biology. All Level 3 qualifications have an entry requirement of 5 GCSEs 9 - 4.

View the key features of this course.

Theory makes up 70% of your overall mark and is examined in seven different areas: applied anatomy and psychology: skill acquisition: sport and society: exercise physiology: bio-mechanical movement: sport psychology: the role of technology in sport. The second part of the course is the non-examined assessment and this makes up the other 30% of the course. This section allows you to explore one sport in detail as a performer or a coach, chosen from a wide variety of sporting activities. Learners will also. analyse and evaluate performance in that chosen activity. Throughout the two year course you will: * develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance * understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance * understand the role of technology *refine your ability to perform effectively by developing skills and techniques *develop your ability to analyse and evaluate performance * understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health * improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers.

Understand how the course will be delivered.

The bulk of the course is studied in the classroom. There will be some practical activity but you will be expected to be taking part, regularly, in sport. In practical lessons you will be expected to take an active part even if it is not your chosen sport.

Find out what material you will need.

Your teacher will advise you , however, you will require a PE kit, which is adequate for your needs in your chosen sport.

Find out more about exams, assignments and assessments.

There are 2 examination papers each of 2 hours duration which make up 70% of your final mark. The remaining 30% comes from an assessment of your performance in a sport or coaching activity (30%).

This course will prepare you for the further study of PE or Sports Science courses at university, as well as other related subjects such as Psychology, Sociology and Biology. You will also develop the transferable skills that are in demand from employers in all sections of industry. The career opportunities that this course can lead to include PE teaching, sports psychology, coaching, physiotherapy and personal training.

Table with course venue details
Name The Spires College
Address Westlands Lane
Torquay
Devon
TQ1 3PE
Find on Google maps
Email sixthform@thespirescollege.com
Phone 01803 400660
Website http://www.thespirescollege.com
Go to course

Back to results